Support for Career Colleges
We do this in a number of ways:
- Providing a programme of CPD for all staff engaged in the planning and delivery of academic and vocational education in a Career College
- Engaging specialists to support in key aspects of delivery, including the development of effective use of learning technology in teaching and learning
- Providing online resources to support the initial assessment and development of key aspects such as digital literacy, employability and enterprise
Free Online CPD
An introduction to Project-Based Learning is 100% online and staff will work through the course to develop a project plan. Then they will submit this as an assignment, which will be reviewed by their online tutor who will provide practical feedback to ensure that the project is successful when implemented.
Taking approximately five guided learning hours to complete.
• Explore the key features of PBL
• Review examples of using the PBL approach
• Develop at least one idea for a project
• Draft out the project ideas using the project planning document.
Involving Employers in Project-Based Learning, is a new module which involves employers in developing project-based learning. 100% online, the course will include tutor-led webinars, and we estimate that it will take about 5 glh to complete.
The course will support participants to:
- Understand the benefits of involving employers in Project Based Learning
- Recognise the best ways to develop and maintain relationships with employer partner
- Develop a project that will be a collaborative project with an employer partner. Explore strategies to develop and maintain relationships with employers
- Draft out a collaborative project idea that is developed with an employer partner.
Embedding enterprise into the vocational curriculum is key to developing business skills that employers are looking for when recruiting staff.
This online learning course is offered in four modules and is designed to support teachers to:
- Understand their role and potential as an educator within enterprise education
- Understand the benefits and relevance of embedded enterprise and entrepreneurship education
- Learn and practice appropriate teaching methods to achieve entrepreneurial outcomes in learners, using a range of pedagogies
- Embed entrepreneurial teaching methods within your class room teaching and beyond
- Explain the importance of enterprise and entrepreneurship within Career Colleges and for your learners
- Outline the rationale for using entrepreneurial teaching techniques in your class room to develop entrepreneurial outcomes in your learners
- Select appropriate teaching techniques to support the development of entrepreneurial.
Sharing of Good Practice and Expert Guidance
We actively search for and share good practice across our Career College network and wider afield. We offer:
- Regular programme of webinars on key topics of interest to the sector
- Our Annual Career College Conference – to share best practice, with a Career College network growing to 18 in 2017
- AoC Networking lunch every November. Put the date in your diary – 16th November 2017 at the Hyatt Hotel, Birmingham
- Industry and education experts are on hand to support each specialist Career College
- Building on the Trust’s active engagement with the Government’s Skills Plan and T Level developments, our Career Colleges receive expert guidance on effective preparation and input into the reforms.
Over the last two years we have sought out and introduced useful resources to our Career Colleges,
supporting them to enhance their student experience. These include:
- FREE access to the NCFE/REED BESTest, an employability self-assessment tool, used as part of the student induction, which supports teachers to develop their employability curriculum. Taken again in June each year, the results show distance travelled and evidence of development of employability skills.
- Central Career College portal with access to resources including contextualised Maths, English and Science resources for industry/sector-led education.
- Use of KiCV App linked to an individual Career College Portal which enables students to build their CV throughout their time at a Career College
- Free access to Instructure Canvas LMS system through the Career Colleges Trust, for sharing learning and teaching resources and development of online learning to support the extended day
- Free access to Heart of Worcestershire Blended Learning Consortium online curriculum content for use in Career College provision
- Free access to Accenture Employability and Digital
Find Out More About Support for Career Colleges
If you would like to find out more please feel free to contact us.